29 companies were fined $2,500 a piece. Below is a full list of the companies:
½ PRICE MOVERS, Staten Island, NY
ALPHA MOVNG SERVICES , Highland Lakes, NJ
AFFORDABLE & ASSERTIVE MOVING & STORAGE, Pompton Lakes, NJ
AVELAR TRUCKING, Landing, NJ
BIN IT NJ, North Bergen, NJ
CENTURION MOVERS, Willow Grove, PA
CONSIDER IT DONE, Toms River, NJ
CRUZ MOVES, Cinnaminson, NJ
ENTERPRISE VAN LINES, Congers, NY
GDK LOGISTICS a/k/a GDK INTERNATIONAL, Fairfield, NJ
H & D TRANSPORTATION, Clifton, NJ
HELPING HANDS MOVING, Newark, NJ
I.D. NOBLE MOVERS a/k/a NOBLE ID MOVERS, Hackensack, NJ
IMPERIAL MOVING & STORAGE a/k/a LION’S DEN ENTERPRISES, a/k/a INSIGNIA MOVING, New York, NY
J & L MOVING, Hillside, NJ
LITE MOVING, Franklin Square, NY
MOVING GOOD, Little Ferry, NJ
MOVING HERO, Rahway, NJ
OLD COUNTRY VAN LINES, East Newark, NJ
PRINCETON MOVERS a/k/a GREAT EASTERN MOVERS, Brooklyn, NY
RENT A HELPING HAND, Pennington, NJ
MUNDANZAS, Dover, NJ
ROADWAY MOVING, Elizabeth, NJ
ROUND CITY MOVING, Garfield, NJ
ROSIE’S MASTER MOVERS, Cherry Hill, NJ
TB MOVING a/k/a TB MOVING & STORAGE, Brooklyn, NY
WE MOVE YOU, Maywood, NJ
BIG MEN IN TRUCKS, Sloatsburg, NY
Complaints against moving companies are common, usually due to added fees, damages to the customers property, misrepresentation and fraud. Moving companies are regulated by both State and Federal statutes.
Some moving companies rush you to sign the contract. As with any contract, you can negotiate many of the terms. Always read the contract thoroughly before you sign it:
1. how much is your property covered if its damaged? You have options. may contracts provide coverage by the pound, such as .60 cents per pound. Think about that. Most of your property is worth a lot more than its weight.
2. when can they charge you more than the contract price?
3. check the dates on all documents - some companies put the wrong dates on documents. They are required to give you certain documents before the move, but don't give them to you until after, and they have been dated prior to the move.
4. at the end of the move, before the movers leave, check all your property for damage, and don't sign anything that says your property is not damaged, until you check. Take pictures of your property before the move and of any damage at the end.
5. check any mover's rating with the BBB and N.J. Division of Consumer Affairs, as well as online reviews.
6. this may sound burdensome, but videotape the movers as they move your property, and audio or videotape any conversations you have with the movers, especially as they answer any questions you have about the contract, or any representations they make, and get the names of the individual movers themselves.
Many movers are as unscrupulous as many used car dealers. Don't be a victim. If you believed you have have been mislead or defrauded, contact an attorney who handles consumer fraud matters, You may be entitled to three times your damages and attorneys fees.
All the Best!
RANDY C. REDDEN